Monday, November 24, 2008

threes

I'd like to say it's a rule but I can't really say it's anything more than a repeated coincidence. I own my fair share of music...and it often happens that each time I come across new music it happens in threes: 1 album usually turns into 3.

So I admit the following: I have a problem. I'm addicted to music and often buy more of it than I need. Today I came across the following: the latest kanYe West- 808s & Heartbreaks, Coldplay's EP Prospekt's March, and a kanYe West mixtape, Sky High. Sadly I also recently purchased Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago and Slim's Love's Crazy. That's a lot of music and I really need to make more time to listen to all of it...and just simply listen.

Listen for the love of music, listen for more critical purposes, listen to find new favorites.

I started this blog out of a love and passion for music...hoping to focus that interest and make something productive of it. I'm yet to fully realize that purpose in this space...and I know I need more of an effort to do so. I feel some of the writing comes close to becoming what I'd like...but obviously it's a work in progress and I need to start at the beginning and build. But such efforts require me to remember to use this space as a place to find that focus, to find a purpose to really stop and listen.

At the same time it's important to remember the simple aesthetics...as it is those very aesthetics that so strongly appeal to me and provide the joy behind it all. It's kinda like remembering to be a kid some of the time [if not a lot].

No comments: