Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Michael Jackson - Thriller [25th Anniversary Edition]

preliminaries...

Before jumping into my first review I'd like to open with some preliminary thoughts and notes. While I often don't give them much weight, I often find myself surveying reviews of albums, movies, and the like on the internet. I realize that my opinions tend to differ from those of 'professional critics' [especially when it comes to movie reviews] but I still enjoy hearing the varying perspectives on things.

So this is space is somewhat of an attempt at my version of the same. I make no claims to expertise or a thorough knowledge of things [I wish my music theory and music history knowledge was much better than it is, but I am a big fan and music is something I am passionate about in my way]. But, as I just said I can provide a passionate perspective and set of opinions. I'll be the first to admit that what I say here will often come with a fair amount of bias...but I guess this is a way for me to really sit down and listen to albums when I get them and also a way to attempt to develop my musical appreciation, knowledge, and opinions. It's also a fun way to work on writing.

So, with all that said, here comes the first review...

Anyone who knows my musical tastes much at all is aware that I consider Thriller the single greatest album of all time. I will happily argue this point with anyone. I will argue this point with someone about an album I know nothing about, that's how great Thriller is - I know nothing could possibly top it.

In their first review of the album, Rolling Stone somehow managed to only give Thriller 4-stars, claiming Off The Wall the superior Michael Jackson work. The review closed with the following:
Thriller may not be Michael Jackson's 1999, but it's a gorgeous, snappy step in the right direction.
The 1999 reference I take to mean that Thriller was not the seminal masterpiece of Michael Jackson's that Prince's was for him. Let's not get me started on Prince. I'm not sure what the individual who wrote the linked review was thinking but maybe the fact that he was in the moment provides some semblance of explanation for his review and the measly 4 stars. For it is the fact that Thriller has stood the test of time (more than a quarter century now) that is just one indication of it's greatness.

More than 25 years later you will still hear Billie Jean, Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Thriller, and P.Y.T. in the club on a Saturday nite and the dancefloor will blow up. The album went on to spawn an unprecedented 7 singles that reached Top-10 status.

But the following except shows, in my opinion, the error of the review:
Jackson's greatest failing has been a tendency to go for the glitz, and while he's curbed the urge on Thriller, he hasn't obliterated it entirely. The end of side two, especially "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)," isn't up to the spunky character of the other tracks. And the title song, which at first sounds like a metaphoric examination of the same under-siege mentality that marks the LP's best moments, instead degenerates into silly camp, with a rap by Vincent Price. (Couldn't they get Count Floyd?)
All I can say to that is wow. Granted, part of the appeal of the song "Thriller" is the amazing video and dance that went on to accompany it. We've all seen the youtube videos of Thriller dances - from the Philippines prisoners to the weddings to the performance on the Tube in London and so on. But the words about "P.Y.T." really strike me. "P.Y.T." is the single greatest Michael Jackson song, hands down. I feel it is greatly underrated in the conversation of MJ classics but look at the reaction it will garner when it comes on. It's amazing. The song inspires getting down unlike any other.

Further evidence of how solid of an album Thriller is comes from the new review from Rolling Stone for the 25th Anniversary Edition. Now Rolling Stone gives the album the 5 stars is deserves, even tho it calls all of the 2008 updates "lame." Harsh indeed.

But I think it is important to look at these new renditions of the classics [the album contains updates of "The Girl Is Mine," "P.Y.T.," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'," "Beat It,"and "Billie Jean"] with a certain perspective. These are true classics of music, it would be impossible to improve upon them. Yet I doubt that was the goal; rather I feel the intention was to update them with some current voices and sounds, allowing for some of the artists who grew up on MJ and were influenced by his talents to provide their interpretations of his classics. All the while, this took place under the eye of Michael Jackson himself [I doubt will.i.am was like, "Yo, Michael's, here's the new verison of your classic, put it on that anni edition."].

With that in mind the new sounds are interesting and actually allow for us, the fans who already love those songs and have put whatever meaning and interpretation we have on to them, a chance to hear the interpretation of another. It's a pretty special experience and it's one that I think exemplifies how special Thriller was, is, and will continue to be. Few other artists and in particular individual albums are worthy of such recognition and honor.

The Akon update of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" is the track that stands out the most, possibly in part due to the fact that it stays quite true to its roots. He slows the song down, especially with the opening...almost making into an Akon-version of a ballad at times. A friend pointed out that the 2008 version is not a bumping as the original, but it comes with a certain hotness all its own.

kanYe West's edition of Billie Jean [the one update that is more of a remix than a newer version of the song] does interesting things with it's changed bass line and focus on strings at times, leaving the vocals as they are. It's slightly disappointing to not hear Ye's voice on the track aside from a few "Uhs" and "Yeahs." Could this be out of a reverence to one of the greatest of all time? Either way, I would have enjoyed hear a few verses from one of the artists I see coming anywhere close to being as of such importance as MJ.

The previously unreleased "For All Time" is a definite Michael Jackson song, much in line with his lighter and more ballad like songs...something we often overlook when it comes to Michael's musical and vocal abilities. I can't find much to complain about tho it doesn't inspire like his best work. But it is nice to hear that voice on a song unheard til now. You can sense how it comes from the original Thriller sessions, which provides a certain comfort and return to a time when it was easier to love the King of Pop.

Unfortunately, the "Billie Jean 1982 Radio Edit remix" is pretty weak. The beat does not compare to the original and thankfully this 'radio edit remix' didn't make it to airwaves in a big way.

As for the original tracks, when an album comes with the heavy hitters and classics of "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)," "Billie Jean," "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin',"Beat It," and "Thriller" along with the solid sounds of "The Girl Is Mine" and "Human Nature" [for a total of 7 of the 9 original tracks], I find it hard to imagine any album, as a whole and song for song coming close to achieving the excellence, innovation, and lasting quality of Thriller.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Word. I couldn't agree more. Well articulated, my friend. While I like many Prince tunes, he's such a hipster entryway into pop. I forgot to tell you - I was on the N Train yesterday morning, and some girl was bumping Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough through her headphones. Wanted everybody around me to notice and pick up the dance, but people were oblivious. Listening to that tune on your morning commute is kinda hot.